We manufacture lead shielding for all sectors, from nuclear medicine to radiographic testing and nuclear energy. Lead shielding is the most common form of radiation shielding in nuclear medicine and larger constructions such as lead lined cabinets and hot cells. Lead is an effective way to attenuate gamma rays and x-rays due to it's high density.
Can't find what you are looking for? There is a big chance we can manufacture it!
Click here to send us a message.
Items 1-20 of 47
- Cyclotron L-block stationAvailable
- Mobile Shielded Waste BinAvailable
- Nuclear Waste ContainerAvailable
- Interlocking Lead RingsAvailable
- Mobile Lead ContainerAvailable
- Radioactive Sample Storage CabinetAvailable
- Shielded Waste Bin 18LAvailable
- Shielded Waste Container with PedalAvailable
- Mobile radioactive waste containerAvailable
- Lead Shielded SafeAvailable
- Lead Shielded CaskAvailable
- Nuclear shielded glove boxAvailable
- Lead storage containersAvailable
- Transport and Storage Cask for Vitrified WasteAvailable
- Nuclear Hot CellAvailable
- Shielded Synthesis WorkstationAvailable
- Lead BricksAvailable
- Lead containerAvailable
Uses of lead radiation shielding
Lead shielding can be used for multiple purposes. Lead is mostly used to create a lead lining in containers and cabinets to store radioactive materials, but can also be used to shield barriers to protect personnel while working with radioactive materials. Examples of this are L-block shields and shielded biological safety cabinets.
Lead shielding vs tungsten shielding
When choosing a radiation shielding material it is important to keep a few things in mind. Gamma radiation is best shielded by materials with a high density. Most common materials to shield gamma radiation are lead and tungsten. Differences between lead and tungsten radiation shielding are:
- Tungsten is much more expensive than lead
- Casting of tungsten is not possible, while lead can be casted
- Lead is soft, making it more vulnerable
- Thin pieces of tungsten break easily
- Less tungsten is needed to provide a certain attenuation
- Lead needs to be covered or coated to prevent exposure
In conclusion, lead is the most economical choice of radiation shielding and is more flexible than tungsten.
Lead shielding manufacturers
Nuclear Shields has 40 years of experience in manufacturing lead shielding. Our production facility is capable of the complete manufacturing cycle from design to final assembly. The lead casting department comprises of three ovens. After the casting process, the lead parts may go to the CNC machining department where they are processed further to size and shape. When the lead parts have the specified size and shape they will be coated in the spray painting department. This coating will prevent exposure to the raw lead. Meanwhile, parts made from other materials will go through the CNC machining and welding departments. The last steps of the production process are assembly and quality control. Our factory is designed to meet the requirements for long-term serial production and one-off custom solutions and is ISO certified.